Skip to main content

TITANE (2021)

VINCENT: I don't care who you are. You are my son no matter what.

Hello everyone! I'm back after a really busy weekend! As our tiny precious local film festival took off on Friday, I finally got to see my most anticipated films of 2021, so I've been running from one film to another for the past few days. Is this how professional film critics feel all the time? (exaggerated sigh). Even though I have three more films to see, I am super excited to talk about my favourite one so far: Titane, from the one and only Julia Ducournau. This work of hers hit me too hard this time, I can't stop thinking about it and am looking forward to seeing it once more after watching some interviews. Well, until then, I'm here to discuss all about it! Thanks for being here and I hope you enjoy reading the post!


Titane is Ducournau's second feature after Raw (2016). Despite carrying similar themes such as exploring the animalistic side of human beings or displaying the malleability of our flesh, Titane revolves around such a humane topic that is love and acceptance. That being said, the film is definitely not a crowd-pleaser as Ducournau's distinct gory style oozes through the screen and keeps the audience squirming in their seat (as exactly intended!). I can't emphasize enough how much of an experience it was to see this film in a crowded movie theatre at 11 pm on a Friday night - which adds more delight to it of course! So, go see it in the cinema if you can. It will only enhance your experience.


Let's talk more about this "love and acceptance" theme as it's at the very center of the film. In the first part of the movie, we get introduced to a world that lacks love or any kind of intimate connection between people - recurring images of steel and metallic objects are a way of creating this atmosphere. As Alexia, our main character, tries to find her true self in such a world, she engages in horrific crimes that rely purely on animalistic impulses - until the turning point of the film comes as she encounters Vincent. With Vincent's entrance, the second part of the film starts and we gradually witness the creation of a beautiful bond between them. Vincent's love finally lets Alexia see herself as who she is and "adds a contour to her skin," as Ducournau describes. In contrast to the cold and metallic world in the first part, we now have a world that has intimacy and affection - which is conveyed through flames and heat. 


Let's not forget the elephant in the room: the notorious discussion about how exactly did Alexia get pregnant through a car... So, I got a few words to those people who literally think that the director wrote it just to make fun of the audience and belittle their minds: symbols exist in cinema! Films don't have to reflect our daily lives! They don't. Just like how you can witness unconventional symbolisation techniques in post-modern works of literature, we can also see them in cinema to enhance the quality of storytelling. So, no, I don't find the whole concept "random" nor "stupid", and am willing to discuss it to a concerning extent...

Now, back to Alexia, her conceiving a (car) baby symbolizes the "birth of a new era in humanity," again, in Ducournau's words. I also read some reviews where the writer put it as a representation of Mary giving birth to Jesus (which is also herself but let's not discuss that now), which made the movie clearer to me. However you interpret it, it's undeniable that the movie ends with an optimistic gaze. Because the baby was born in such a loving atmosphere, we finish the film with a hopeful outlook for the future. 

Well, despite the negative reviews, I can confidently say that Titane worked for me. With its pace, soundtrack, performances (can't believe I almost forgot to mention it!) and most importantly with its provocative structure, this film placed itself among one of my favourites of all time. Go see it. Preferably around midnight.

Before I finish, I'd like to quickly invite you to visit my Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr; all with the same nickname moviesatdawn. You can also comment your thoughts down below or send your suggestions to: moviesatdawn@gmail.com. Thanks for being here and I'll see you next week!

Julia hi please be quick with your next feature okay thanks bye

Next post: The Power Of The Dog (2021) dir. Jane Campion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HÖSTSONATEN (1978)

CHARLOTTE: Sometimes, when I lie awake at night, I wonder whether I've lived at all. Is it the same for everybody? Do some people have a greater talent for living than others or do some people never live, but just exist? Hello everyone, I'm back earlier than a week. I had an overwhelming day, so decided to watch Höstsonaten (Autumn Sonata) that has been in my watchlist for a long time. While the scenes are fresh in my head, I wanted to write down my opinions. I hope you enjoy!                         As usual, to give a brief background information, the film is written and directed by the Swedish filmmaker Ingmar Bergman. Bergman shot this movie in Oslo, Norway while he was exiled from Sweden. Being homesick is one of the movie's themes, as Bergman himself carried this feeling at some point in his life. He later expressed his thoughts about getting exiled from his own country in an  interview . He said:" It was not difficult to go away from Sweden," later added &q

JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH (2020)

"Anywhere there is people, there is power." Hey everyone, a million hugs and welcome to my very first post! I've been thinking of starting a movie blog for a while, and now here I am writing these lines at 2 am on a Saturday night. I'm particularly glad that I finally started this hobby with a special movie:  Judas and the Black Messiah. I hope you'll enjoy reading this review as much as I enjoyed writing it! To give a brief background information, Judas and the Black Messiah is co-written and directed by Shaka King, a 41-year-old filmmaker. The most unforgettable part of this movie is its performances: the talented cast consists Daniel Kaluuya, LaKeith Stanfield and Dominique Fishback. Kaluuya won a (well deserved!) Golden Globe award for his performance as well as the Critics' Choice Award. The movie also got nominated for 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.                         The film starts off with our main character, O'Neal (LaKeith Stanfi

BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1945)

LAURA: It's awfully easy to lie when you know that you're trusted implicitly. So very easy, and so very degrading. Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great week! Mine went better than usual,  I've finally gotten used to the busy routine of school, so that's an improvement. I'm so happy to be back to the blog again, especially since this movie has been on my watchlist for a long time!  This week I decided to go a little more back in time and explore a film from the 1940's (another first for this blog!), Brief Encounter which I loved a lot. Let's give a little background about the film and explore its characters. I hope you enjoy reading the post! Brief Encounter is a romance movie adapted by a play of Noel Coward and directed by David Lean. The story revolves around Laura and Dr. Alec -both of whom are married- who meet at a railway station and gradually fall in love as they keep seeing each other every Thursday in the same spot. The romance built between t