Skip to main content

THE POWER OF THE DOG (2021)

 ROSE: What is it, George?

GEORGE: I just wanted to say how nice it is not to be alone.

Hello everyone! I've finally returned here the exact same way as I've started this blog, which is, dropping whatever I was doing and opening up my computer to start writing with or without reasonable motivation. It feels good to find the energy that drives me to write, delete, and try once again. At this point it would be a waste of space and energy to say how much I missed here, also trying to explain what took me back from writing all this time. One thing I'm sure of though is that now that the Awards Season has taken off, I'll be here a lot regularly just to complain about frontrunners (coughs, Belfast, coughs) and the critics' ignorance of Titane and Worst Person In The World... I'm also planning to return to older films and cults to rejuvenate the blog's atmosphere - because I'm too determined not to become an only awards blog! Now, let's talk about Jane Campion's latest The Power Of The Dog (and why it's not as boring as you might initially think)! Thanks for being here and I hope you enjoy reading the post!


The Power Of The Dog is Campion's first feature since 2009 (Bright Star), followed by a TV series called Top Of The Lake (2013-2017). After 12 years of directing/writing for TV series, Campion decided to return to filmmaking with an adaptation of Thomas Savage's novel of the same title. It took me aback when I learned that the film was an adaptation since the characters' execution seemed so brilliant - which is something hard to capture because books tend to be more masterful at drawing a clear portrait of a character. Campion's storytelling skills are nothing but regular, though, she first captured my heart with The Piano (1993), and now with this feature. I love how she manages to demonstrate a character's mood not only with brilliant dialogues but with masterful shots and touching soundtracks.

Campion's film isn't only successful in executing characters, the storyline is also crafted in such a way that it's almost impossible for the audience to guess where the film is going. Campion said in one of her interviews that her initial intention was to write the story in a way that gives the exact sense of mystery and enigma that the original work carries within. Needless to say, she did just that. Throughout the film, I found myself guessing if Phil would end up being an anti-protagonist or if Rose would ever confront him. This aspect of the film definitely made me look forward to watching the next scene to see how the story unfolds - which got me surprised when I saw the comments like "dull and flat" towards the film. It's not.


The film revolves around Phil, a virile, high-tempered cowboy who appears to have a despise towards women. Throughout the film, we see Phil regarding manhood as a superiority and displaying some toxic masculanity traits. We see those traits directed mostly to his brother and Rose - which will soon lead her to depression.  
As we try to figure out the roots of his behaviour, towards the end, we finally see him dropping his facade with an unforgettable climax scene. Although we don’t see this character growing for the better, seeing him showing his vulnerable side to Peter was a notable improvement in this character’s arc. I can't say he was my favourite character since he wasn't intended to be written as an ideal protagonist at all, but seeing his growth overall was satisfying.


Coming to Peter, an aspiring medicine student who has an innate curiosity for nature. Although Phil and Peter's relationship made a rocky start, we knew that he was the closest person Phil ever saw to himself. This explains why Phil tried to change Peter's "feminine" traits and tried to replace it with manly occupations which he - of course - finds holy. Knowing that Peter has a natural wonder towards the world around him, we see him adjusting to that persona and forming a closer relationship to Phil as a result.

I read that the end of the film reminded the critics of classic Greek tragedy, where the protagonist falls into an unexpected disaster and leaves the audience shocked - which I think is the perfect analogy ever made about the film.


All in all, The Power Of The Dog quickly placed itself among one of my favourite films of the year (followed closely by Titane, what did you even expect?). I loved how the lines between masculinity and femininity were explored in a fresh way, as well as adding a new perspective in queer cinema. I'm now hoping that it won't take another decade for Jane Campion to release a new film because I have to see more storytellers like her in movie theaters!

Slowly finishing the post, I'm going to highlight that I need to see Cumberbatch getting all the awards he deserves this season - and a big applause for Kirsten Dunst for pulling off another messed up character that I can totally relate to! Needless to say, I really want to see Jane Campion getting recognized by her work but she doesn't need my wishes 'cause she's already winning everything!

You can follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr; all with the same nickname moviesatdawn. I can't promise to be active, I barely have time to... breathe, basically. Thanks a million for joining me this week and I'll see you - god knows when hopefully this month - later! Take care and keep enjoying life! And movies too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HÖSTSONATEN (1978)

CHARLOTTE: Sometimes, when I lie awake at night, I wonder whether I've lived at all. Is it the same for everybody? Do some people have a greater talent for living than others or do some people never live, but just exist? Hello everyone, I'm back earlier than a week. I had an overwhelming day, so decided to watch Höstsonaten (Autumn Sonata) that has been in my watchlist for a long time. While the scenes are fresh in my head, I wanted to write down my opinions. I hope you enjoy!                         As usual, to give a brief background information, the film is written and directed by the Swedish filmmaker Ingmar Bergman. Bergman shot this movie in Oslo, Norway while he was exiled from Sweden. Being homesick is one of the movie's themes, as Bergman himself carried this feeling at some point in his life. He later expressed his thoughts about getting exiled from his own country in an  interview . He said:" It was not difficult to go away from Sweden," later added &q

JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH (2020)

"Anywhere there is people, there is power." Hey everyone, a million hugs and welcome to my very first post! I've been thinking of starting a movie blog for a while, and now here I am writing these lines at 2 am on a Saturday night. I'm particularly glad that I finally started this hobby with a special movie:  Judas and the Black Messiah. I hope you'll enjoy reading this review as much as I enjoyed writing it! To give a brief background information, Judas and the Black Messiah is co-written and directed by Shaka King, a 41-year-old filmmaker. The most unforgettable part of this movie is its performances: the talented cast consists Daniel Kaluuya, LaKeith Stanfield and Dominique Fishback. Kaluuya won a (well deserved!) Golden Globe award for his performance as well as the Critics' Choice Award. The movie also got nominated for 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.                         The film starts off with our main character, O'Neal (LaKeith Stanfi

BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1945)

LAURA: It's awfully easy to lie when you know that you're trusted implicitly. So very easy, and so very degrading. Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great week! Mine went better than usual,  I've finally gotten used to the busy routine of school, so that's an improvement. I'm so happy to be back to the blog again, especially since this movie has been on my watchlist for a long time!  This week I decided to go a little more back in time and explore a film from the 1940's (another first for this blog!), Brief Encounter which I loved a lot. Let's give a little background about the film and explore its characters. I hope you enjoy reading the post! Brief Encounter is a romance movie adapted by a play of Noel Coward and directed by David Lean. The story revolves around Laura and Dr. Alec -both of whom are married- who meet at a railway station and gradually fall in love as they keep seeing each other every Thursday in the same spot. The romance built between t