Skip to main content

JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH (2020)

"Anywhere there is people, there is power."

Hey everyone, a million hugs and welcome to my very first post! I've been thinking of starting a movie blog for a while, and now here I am writing these lines at 2 am on a Saturday night. I'm particularly glad that I finally started this hobby with a special movie: Judas and the Black Messiah. I hope you'll enjoy reading this review as much as I enjoyed writing it!

To give a brief background information, Judas and the Black Messiah is co-written and directed by Shaka King, a 41-year-old filmmaker. The most unforgettable part of this movie is its performances: the talented cast consists Daniel Kaluuya, LaKeith Stanfield and Dominique Fishback. Kaluuya won a (well deserved!) Golden Globe award for his performance as well as the Critics' Choice Award. The movie also got nominated for 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. 

                      

The film starts off with our main character, O'Neal (LaKeith Stanfield) . After he steals a car by faking he's an FBI agent, his attempt fails as he gets caught by the police officers. Instead of getting jailed, he's forced to make a bargain with the police officer Roy (Jesse Plemons). According to this bargain, he'll leak important informations from The Black Panther Party instead of serving his sentence of nearly 15 years. Afterwards, the plot moves in this direction as O'Neal sells information to the police to corrupt the Black Panther Party. We mostly experience the movie from O'Neal's perspective. Throughout the movie, we share his guilt and regret, and witness as he slowly falls into despair. At the end of the movie, with Hampton's death, we see him at his lowest and feel his silent anguish. O'Neal was brought into life by the actor Stanfield, and his acting was brilliant if my intense feeling of antipathy for the character is any sign!


Speaking of top-notch acting, it would be a crime not to mention Kaluuya's brilliant performance of Fred Hampton. After reading tons of compliments, I decided to watch the movie to see it myself. Without exaggeration, I found every compliment worthy for this spectacular performance. As Hampton speaks with passion about revolution and equality, it touches your heart and fills you with a sense of injustice. When he shouts "I'm a revolutionary!" to the crowd, you repeat the words back out loud along with hundreds of people. We witness different aspects of this idealist character. We watch him fall in love, get into jail, try to build a family, and tragically get assassinated at the end. When the movie ended, I was content to meet an important historical figure. It sparked an interest in me to research Fred Hampton and his works. I was delighted to find a CD collection of his speeches. Here is the shopping link if you want to give it a look: Power to the People - The Black Panther Speeches.


Besides the spectacular performances I mentioned above, I unfortunately couldn't find another captivating part of this movie. I had a hard time with following what was going on at times, and relieved to realise that I wasn't the only one who felt that way after reading the other reviews. Thus, scenario-wise, it wasn't the best production to me for this year. Overall, with a great boost from the performances, I rated this movie 7 out of 10. It was indeed an unforgettable movie, but the plot itself could have been more engaging. 
Thank you so much for reading this far. What do you think of this movie? I'd love to hear your comments about it. Or better yet, send me an email about anything and everything: moviesatdawn@gmail.com. Thank you again and I hope to see you in my next post! 

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TITANE (2021)

VINCENT: I don't care who you are. You are my son no matter what. Hello everyone! I'm back after a really busy weekend! As our tiny precious local film festival took off on Friday, I finally got to see my most anticipated films of 2021, so I've been running from one film to another for the past few days.  Is this how professional film critics feel all the time? (exaggerated sigh).  Even though I have three more films to see, I am super excited to talk about my favourite one so far: Titane, from the one and only Julia Ducournau. This work of hers hit me too hard this time, I can't stop thinking about it and am looking forward to seeing it once more after watching some interviews.  Well, until then, I'm here to discuss all about it ! Thanks for being here and I hope you enjoy reading the post! Titane is Ducournau's second feature after Raw (2016) . Despite carrying similar themes such as exploring the animalistic side of human beings or displaying the malleability...

BRIEF ENCOUNTER (1945)

LAURA: It's awfully easy to lie when you know that you're trusted implicitly. So very easy, and so very degrading. Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great week! Mine went better than usual,  I've finally gotten used to the busy routine of school, so that's an improvement. I'm so happy to be back to the blog again, especially since this movie has been on my watchlist for a long time!  This week I decided to go a little more back in time and explore a film from the 1940's (another first for this blog!), Brief Encounter which I loved a lot. Let's give a little background about the film and explore its characters. I hope you enjoy reading the post! Brief Encounter is a romance movie adapted by a play of Noel Coward and directed by David Lean. The story revolves around Laura and Dr. Alec -both of whom are married- who meet at a railway station and gradually fall in love as they keep seeing each other every Thursday in the same spot. The romance built between t...

ЗЕРКАЛО (Zerkalo) (1975)

[THE FATHER]: At times something happens and I stop dreaming of the house and the pine trees of my childhood around it. Then I get depressed. And I can't wait to see this dream in which I'll be a child again and feel happy again because everything will still be ahead, everything will be possible...  [1] Hello everyone! I'm back this week with Tarkovsky's beloved Zerkalo, Mirror in English. I'll try to add enough background information as the film is known to be quite non-traditional. Thanks for being here and I hope you enjoy reading this post! Zerkalo is Andrei Tarkovsky's fourth film and the one that holds a special place in his heart. The film contains a lot of autobiographical elements, such as the house we see in rural Soviet Russia and the depiction of the mother figure, Maroussia. The house from the film was in fact built on the foundations of Tarkovsky's childhood home, which is a very meaningful detail to me. Because of the movie's unconventiona...